How long have you been feeling overwhelmed?
Living with a feeling of overwhelm, insufficient or poor quality sleep, eating a poor diet, worrying (about anything), unhappiness, or living with pain all have a negative impact on your adrenal health. These situations create a state of stress within the cells of your body that may take time to go away.
The problem is that stress can be very addictive. People often boast that they can manage their demanding career, family life and relationship on caffeine, nicotine and very little sleep. Our society recognizes and encourages the ‘superwoman”; people who are able to do it all.
Taking care of yourself begins with treating yourself like you had a cold or flu. You need to prepare nourishing foods for yourself that are easy to access and prepare. This breakfast casserole below can be made on the weekend and eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner throughout the week.
To reduce the overwhelmed feeling, utilize food as medicine
The ingredients and the macro nutrient combinations in this casserole all contribute to health support your adrenal health.
Sweet Potato crust has got over 400% of your daily needs for Vitamin A. Choline also assists in the absorption of fat and reduces chronic inflammation.
Spinach contains Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that promotes skin health and immune function
Eggs provide an easy, economic source of protein that keeps you satiated until lunchtime
Cremini Mushrooms contain B Vitamins, which assist with hormone production
A casserole is a term used for food cooked and served in such a large, deep dish. If you’re overwhelmed, have a friend over to make this casserole with you or contract it out to a good friend. Any casserole is a great way to prepare food ahead of time, effectively caring for your future self. You can make a different type of casserole for lunch and dinner to easily enjoy warmed up at work and when you get home after your commute.
You may find a considerable reduction in overwhelmed feelings once you prepare foods that are healing and easy for you.
- 1 medium sweet potato, thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp ghee OR coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 lb. cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 4 strips bacon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Line a round baking tin with parchment paper
- To make a crust, arrange thinly sliced sweet potato and top with one tablespoon of ghee
- Bake until the sweet potato slices are soft, about 15 minutes
- Meanwhile, saute the onions in the remaining ghee in a pan over medium-low heat for 10 minutes
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and gently toss in the spinach and garlic powder
- Pour the sauteed veggies into the baking tin
- Whisk eggs with nutritional yeast, salt and pepper in a large bowl and carefully pour over the veggies
- Place bacon strips over the whole mixture to form X's
- Return the baking tin to the oven for 25 minutes
- Turn the broiler on high and finish the casserole under the broiler for 5 minutes to finish cooking the bacon strips
- Allow the dish to cool for 5 minutes before serving.
Pin it to make this weekend for your easy weekday breakfasts!