Spring cleansing, when done properly, can help you jump start your weight loss, increase energy, balance moods and significantly reduce a variety of hormone related symptoms. However, there are lots of popular cleanses out there that can actually cause more harm then good if your hormones are imbalanced. In this article, I’ll explain how to design a cleanse that will help you balance your hormones and get your energy back fast.
Liver health is essential to hormone health because many important hormones are processed and synthesized in the liver. If the liver can’t function optimally, due to a combination of toxicity, genetics, aging and nutrient deficiency, it may cause the following hormone imbalances:
- Excess Estrogen – Estrogen is metabolized in the liver and eliminated through sweat, urine and the bowels. If the liver can’t eliminate excess estrogen out of your body then you can experience symptoms of estrogen dominance, like bloating, breast tenderness, irregular periods, fibroids, endometriosis, weight gain, irritability, hot flashes, sleep issues and amplified PMS, peri-menopause and menopause symptoms.
- Hypothyroid- A stressed liver can reduce the conversion of your bodies usable thyroid hormone and sometimes cause hypothyroid symptoms like thinning hair, cold hands and feat, constipation and a slower metabolism.
- Adrenal Fatigue Prolonged liver toxicity can also elevate your cortisol and cause symptoms of adrenal fatigue.
The cleanse that I recomend for balancing hormones is 21 days and focuses and follows these three important steps:
1. Removing Offending Foods Eating foods that you’re sensitive to can put extra stress on your gut and liver. Removing the main allergenic foods from your diet such as those on the list below, will also help you figure out what you’re sensitive to in the long run:
2. Supporting Liver Detoxification Include lots foods and herbal teas that support your liver in removing toxins more efficiently. Some examples of liver detoxing foods are:
- leafy green vegetables
- schizandra berries
- goji berries
- raw fermented sauer kraut
- dandelion leaf and root
- burdock root
B vitamin and probiotic rich foods are also really important. A deficiency in certain nutrients impair the body’s natural detoxification process.
3. Supporting Your Organs Of Elimination- After you get the toxins out of your liver, you need to remove them from your body through the bowels, urine, skin and lungs. To detox the bowels during a cleanse you want to increase your fibre intake to 35 g/ day (but slowly if you’re not used to this much). Fibre is particularly essential in removing excess estrogen. If it doesn’t go out through proper elimination then it can be reabsorbed into the blood stream and cause hormonal problems. I don’t recommend juice cleansing or the master cleanse because of this. My favourite sources of fibre during cleanses are:
- an abundance of raw and cooked vegetables with each meal
- chia seeds
- ground flax seeds
- slippery elm
- sunflower seeds
- pumpkin seeds
To increase detoxification through your skin, do things that make you sweat such as:
- detox magnesium baths
- vigorous exercise
- hot yoga
If you’re interested in doing a cleanse, I’m offering a full day women’s cleansing retreat april 30th in Calgary where you’ll have access to my 21 Day Hormone Balance Cleanse and get to learn and sample all the recipes. Learn more about this here.