Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Forgo pizza dough for a crust made with cauliflower!
Necessity is indeed the mother of invention. In fact, cauliflower is ‘trending’ right now because of popular gluten-free or low carb diets like the keto diet. Foodies need to get creative so that they can enjoy their favorite dishes and simultaneously adhere to the dietary restrictions. The results are astounding!
Who Would Have Thought?
Because of its texture, cauliflower can be used as a delicious substitute for a multitude of different foods. You’ve probably heard of cauliflower rice (get my recipe here), roasted, marinated cauliflower ‘steaks’, cauliflower mash (instead of potatoes). However, I recently heard of cauliflower ceviche (minus the fish)! Let me know if you’ve heard of any wild or inventive uses for cauliflower, I’m curious about what other ideas are out there.
Pizza For Hormone Balance
We recommend cauliflower pizza crust for a couple reasons:
- An alternative to processed carbs that imbalance blood sugar. When insulin levels are too high or your body doesn’t process insulin properly, this hormone acts as an endocrine disruptor. If you can keep your blood sugar stable throughout the day you will have less weight gain, balanced moods, less cravings and more balanced hormones.
- Cauliflower is a hormone balancing superfood! This brassica provides your body with nutrients to support the detoxification and metabolism of estrogen. This will help to reduce symptoms of estrogen dominance like heavy periods, breast pain and PMS. During menopause, foods that aid estrogen detox are essential to reduce exposure to bad estrogens, which can increase your risk of cancer.
This pizza-inspired dish has additional ingredients for hormone balance.
- Fresh microgreens also help with estrogen detox
- Spicy radish supports Vitamin B6 which is responsible for building your progesterone
- Roasted butternut squash is actually one of the best food sources of Vitamin E. You need Vitamin E to process your estrogen, moisturize and bring a glow to your skin
Try out this fun, delicious recipe that’s designed to keep you healthy and your hormones balanced. Make it a meal with a side of protein. Let me know what you think and how you make it your own!
If you can’t find a cauliflower crust at the supermarket, try making your own with this recipe from Detoxinista.
- 1 prepared frozen cauliflower pizza crust
- 2 cups peeled and diced butternut squash
- 2 Tbsp ghee, melted
- Sea salt
- 2 handfuls of microgreens
- 2-3 radish, thinly sliced
- Dried Italian seasoning to garnish
- Bake prepared cauliflower crust according to package instructions.
- Heat the oven to 230 C /450 F. Toss squash cubes in melted ghee and sea salt. Spread out on a baking tray lined with parchment paper and roast for 30 minutes until edges are brown and the squash is soft. Toss once or twice while cooking.
- Remove squash from oven. Using a metal spatula, mash it flat until it resembles a thick paste. Spread the squash paste on the cauliflower crust.
- Top the pizza with microgreens and radish slices. Divide into 4 pieces using a pizza slicer or kitchen scissors.
- Garnish with Italian herbs and enjoy!
Ultiamtely, cauliflower pizza crust is not as easy as making a traditional pizza crust. However, trying recipes such as this one is inspiring and allows us to try our hand at something new. Let me know what kinds of fun recipes you’d like to see on the blog!