You know you need to up your salad game.
For many of us, salads are an essential part of our diet. You don’t need to do anything major to make them exciting again. Experimenting with citrus, fruits and alternative vegetables can delight your palate with new-to-you flavor combinations.
This fennel salad is particularly great for the follicular phase because fennel contains natural estrogenic compounds that balance your body’s estrogen levels. The result is balanced moods and healthy ovulation, which is important for fertility.
This recipe combines fennel with apple and orange for something fresh unique. It’s also good for digestion! Some other uncommon combinations include:
- pear, pomegranate and cacao nibs
- walnut, jicama and strawberry
Understanding the basics of salad dressing is an essential part of mixing up your salads too. Check out our post on creating the ultimate salad dressing here. In this recipe, a simple dressing is made from olive oil and orange juice plus the zest.
You need to make sure your salad is giving you enough fiber. Protein is essential too, but you need the fiber to balance your blood sugar and keep you feeling full. it’s also essential to have fiber for detox and proper elimination.
In this fennel salad, you get protein from the chicken and fiber from kale and cabbage. Feel free to mix those ingredients up depending on your mood or what you have on hand.
Although parsley is used as a garnish, this herb is amazing for detoxing. Some sources say you should get a daily dose of parsley for your overall health. Make sure to include fresh parsley in your salads to reap the benefits of this underrated superfood!
- 1 lb. Chicken breast, boneless/skinless, cooked and shredded
- 4 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1 Tbsp Curry powder
- 1 Orange, zest and juice
- 1 bag Kale and cabbage mixed
- 1 Apple, diced
- 1 Fennel bulb, center and fronds removed, diced
- 1/2 cup Parsley, fresh, chopped
- Toss olive oil, sea salt, curry powder, orange juice and zest in a large bowl until well combined.
- Stir in the shredded chicken, apple and fennel.
- Add kale mixture and toss well until everything is evenly coated.
- Distribute between 4 salad bowls and garnish with fresh parsley.
Pin our fennel salad for a simple lunch!
Photos and recipe by Sarah Steffens of Savor & Fancy
Sarah Steffens is a Personal Chef based in Los Angeles. She specializes in Paleo, Autoimmune, and Whole30 cooking and believes food is the starting ground for practicing kindness to one’s body, mind and spirit. She shares recipes and kitchen tips at Savor & Fancy.