Want a delicious grain-free breakfast that is high in hormone balancing nutrients?
This hot, versatile porridge is the thing for you! It’s helpful for reducing PMS symptoms and balancing hormones through menopause.
Sunflower butter is a satisfying, cost effective spread made from crushed sunflower seeds. I love it for women’s hormone balance because it is high in Vitamin E and Vitamin B6. Vitamin E is an antioxidant that helps metabolize the estrogen your body produces and ensures estrogen is in it’s usable form. Estrogen metabolization is important for preventing hot flashes and menopause symptoms. Vitamin B6 helps support optimal progesterone levels and has been shown in studies to help decrease PMS symptoms such as bloating and breast tenderness.
I hope you enjoy this recipe. Give it a try and let us know how you like it in the comments below.
- 1/2 coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 Tbsp sunflower butter, unsweetened
- 1 Tbsp flax seeds, whole
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 Tbsp collagen peptides
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean powder
- pinch of cinnamon powder
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Spread the coconut flakes on a baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Toast the coconut for 10 minutes, tossing once or twice with a spatula to prevent it from burning. Once toasted, remove from the oven and transfer to a plate to cool.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor, add the salt, flax seed, sunflower butter, walnuts, coconut flakes and any optional dry ingredients. Pulse until it resembles a crumbly flour.
- In a kettle or over the stove, bring the water to a simmer. Add the hot water to the blender and blend until a porridge-like mixture forms.
- The porridge will thicken as it cools so thin it with a little hot water and stir well if reheating.
- Divide between 2 bowls. This porridge can be served alone or you may add fresh fruit to it. Add berries and Granny Smith apples to keep it low-carb or a ripe banana for those looking for a sweeter and high-carb meal.
Pin it for next weeks breakfasts!
Photos by Sarah Steffens of Savor & Fancy
Sarah Steffens is a Personal Chef based in Los Angeles. She specializes in Paleo, Autoimmune, and Whole30 cooking and believes food is the starting ground for practicing kindness to one’s body, mind and spirit. In addition to cooking for private clients, she also creates recipes and photography for Whole30. She shares recipes and kitchen tips at Savor & Fancy.