Cauliflower Pizza Crust
Forgo pizza dough for a crust made with cauliflower!
Necessity is indeed the mother of invention. In fact, cauliflower is ‘trending’ right now because of popular gluten-free or low carb diets like the keto diet. Foodies need to get creative so that they can enjoy their favorite dishes and simultaneously adhere to the dietary restrictions. The results are astounding!
Who Would Have Thought?
Because of its texture, cauliflower can be used as a delicious substitute for a multitude of different foods. You’ve probably heard of cauliflower rice, roasted, marinated cauliflower ‘steaks’, cauliflower mash (instead of potatoes). However, I recently heard of cauliflower ceviche (minus the fish)! Let me know if you’ve heard of any wild or inventive uses for cauliflower, I’m curious about what other ideas are out there.
Pizza For Hormone Balance
We recommend cauliflower pizza crust for a couple reasons:
- An alternative to processed carbs that imbalance blood sugar. When insulin levels are too high or your body doesn’t process insulin properly, this hormone acts as an endocrine disruptor. If you can keep your blood sugar stable throughout the day you will have less weight gain, balanced moods, less cravings and more balanced hormones.
- Cauliflower is a hormone balancing superfood! This brassica provides your body with nutrients to support the detoxification and metabolism of estrogen. This will help to reduce symptoms of estrogen dominance like heavy periods, breast pain and PMS. During menopause, foods that aid estrogen detox are essential to reduce exposure to bad estrogens, which can increase your risk of cancer.
This pizza-inspired dish has additional ingredients for hormone balance.
- Fresh microgreens also help with estrogen detox
- Spicy radish supports Vitamin B6 which is responsible for building your progesterone
- Roasted butternut squash is actually one of the best food sources of Vitamin E. You need Vitamin E to process your estrogen, moisturize and bring a glow to your skin
Try out this fun, delicious recipe that’s designed to keep you healthy and your hormones balanced. Make it a meal with a side of protein. Let me know what you think and how you make it your own!
If you can’t find a cauliflower crust at the supermarket, try making your own with this recipe from Detoxinista.
- 1 cup brewed red raspberry leaf tea, warmed
- 1/2 cup chia seed
- 1 Tbsp cacao powder
- 1 Tbsp coconut cream
- 1 large orange
- Pinch sea salt
- To taste honey or stevia
- Brew or heat 1 cup of red raspberry leaf tea
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine chia seed and cacao powder
- Thoroughly wash the orange and grate 1 Tbsp orange zest from the rind. Squeeze about 1 Tbsp of juice into the bowl.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients to the bowl and mix thoroughly to combine. Check your emails while you let stand for 10 minutes to thicken.
- Note 1: add more or less tea or orange juice depending on how thick or runny you prefer your pudding.
- Note 2: in a rush? Prep the night before in a mason jar and simply warm it before you eat.
Ultiamtely, cauliflower pizza crust is not as easy as making a traditional pizza crust. However, trying recipes such as this one is inspiring and allows us to try our hand at something new. Let me know what kinds of fun recipes you’d like to see on the blog!